The Digital Auto Guides (DAG) do-it-yourself manuals or guides have been specially written for the owner who wishes to maintain their car in first class condition and to carry out their own servicing and repairs. Considerable savings on garage charges can be made, and one can drive in safety and confidence knowing the work has been done properly. Note that unlimited use of the manual pages and the service features require an small In App Purchase for each. You will find these in the menu bar at the landing page of the application. Within the service guides, comprehensive step-by-step instructions and illustrations are given on all dismantling, overhauling and assembling operations. Throughout the apps, hints and tips are included which will be found invaluable. A full set of capabilities will help you in managing the various tasks and projects needed to maintain your car in optimal condition. Whilst every care has been taken to ensure correctness of information it is obviously not possible to guarantee complete freedom from errors or to accept liability arising from such errors or omissions. While we use the most advanced computer systems to convert the paper manuals and extensive proofreading, some errors do appear. Instructions may refer to the righthand or lefthand sides of the vehicle or the components. These are the same as the righthand or lefthand of an observer standing behind the car and looking forward. This application contains the same content as the paper manual but in addition has a number of enhanced features not available in a paper book. Amongst these are:
- Available on the go for all the popular mobile devices
- Rapid search using keywords to get you to the exact subject
- Hypertext linked subjects and content
- A place to document your cars history
- A means to log all of your fuel consumption and automatically calculate fuel efficiency
- The ability to determine which maintenance is due by distance and keep track of your progress and costs
- Manage your projects and how much you have improved your car and when
- Showing exactly when and how much you spent repairing and improving your car by subject area/date in order to determine its value
- The ability to use all of these features on numerous devices and store the data automatically in the Dropbox™ Cloud for security and shared access
- Use of your collected data in other applications such as spreadsheets and e-Mail
All of the features are available for each car you have purchased the Digital Auto Guides for. There is no limit to how many cars or devices you may wish to use the application for (a separate license is required for each platform or if you use a different account for the same platform for numerous devices).
The Digital Auto Guides are available on the following formats and locations:
- Android smartphones and tablets (Google Play)
- Apple iPhones, iPads and iPad Minis (The App Store via iTunes)
- Android smart phone and tablet devices and Kindle Fire phones and tablets (via the Amazon App Store).
The solution is universal and one implementation on a platform covers both phones and tablets. In this user’s manual we will depict the tablet images but the smart phone images are almost identical. In general the tablet displays will depict more columns. To install a native solution follow the instructions about installing applications for your device. Once installed the application is ready to be used without modification or tailoring. However to get the most enjoyment and to tailor the solution to your particular car or geography you will need to make a few adjustments to the settings. Please refer to the Settings section for details on how to configure the application.
To get started with the Digital Auto Guides application quickly, follow these steps:
- Install the application from the Apple App Store, Google Play or the Amazon App Store.
- Start the application and when at the main panel select the Settings (gear) icon at the bottom left.
- Enter your car number or VIN under the Car Details section. While you type in your car number the settings for the car features below may change on some of the guides.
- Review the settings that have been selected or make any changes for your particular car.
- Now review the Maintenance Details settings entering the starting odometer reading you wish to begin with and your units of measure and money preferences.
- Do not connect to Dropbox® just yet.
- Select Save to return to the main panel. Your application is now setup and ready to go.
NOTE: THIS FEATURE HAS BEEN SUSPENDED BY DROPBOX. WE ARE LOOKING FOR AN ALTERNATIVE
If you would like to use Dropbox® to secure all of your data or to use the application on multiple devices:
- Go back to the Settings panel.
- Now select the Link to Dropbox™ button. The application will take you to Dropbox’s website
- Enter your Dropbox™ credentials and select Sign in.
- If approved you will return to the Settings panel and the button’s text will change to Disconnect Dropbox™
- Install the same Digital Auto Guides app on your other devices.
- Start the application and when at the main panel select the Settings (gear) icon.
- Do not enter any information on the Settings panel but select the Link to Dropbox button. The application will take you to Dropbox’s website.
- Enter your Dropbox™ credentials and select Sign in.
- If approved you will return to the Settings panel and the button’s text will change to Disconnect Dropbox™. All of your settings will be synchronized to the first device you entered.
From this point on everything that you enter on one device will be automatically backed up and distributed to every connected device you have linked to Dropbox™ for the same application. Even if you are out or range of a signal as soon as you are connected your data will be synchronized. Enjoy your experience with Digital Auto Guides and read further for more details when you get the chance.
The Main Panel is your navigation to the Digital Auto Guides® application. From this point you have access to all of the features of the application. The name of the application is prominently shown on the center of the panel in bold letters. The panel is laid out with a softened color picture of your automobiles engine as the background with iconic buttons at the bottom of the screen that give you access to the most used features. At the top of the panel is the title ‘Digital Auto Guides’ flanked by a magnifying glass icon on the left and the menu panel icon (stacked bars) on the right. When the application is first started you will also be shown a Find Out More button just below the application name. This button gives you access to a simple and rapid walk through of the applications features and will be described in detail later.
- Magnifying glass – takes you to the Search panel
- Menu bar – brings up a pop out menu panel that will appear from the left. Every feature of the application is available from this popout panel.
- Settings – takes you to the Settings panel as you have seen above
- Manual – brings up the Manual Chapters menu panel
- Fuel – shows a Add Fuel popup to quickly document your last filling
- My Car – shows the My Car panel where you can describe your cars ownership and features
- Service – brings up the Service menu panel
Each of these features and more is described below.
The Digital Auto Guides application reproduces the original manual pages but in a unique way. There is no concept of pages, because this is an artifact of the paper world the manuals were created in. Instead DAG uses advanced technology to reformat the information specifically to the device type and orientation you choose to use it on, sometimes changing its layout as you turn the device. If the application was based on pages they would be too small to read on smart phones and waste a lot of space on larger devices. Because you would have to scroll the pages anyway, it was determined that a better way to display the manual page content was in order. To this extent all of the text is converted into characters and not just digitally reproduced images. This means we can scale the text and reformat it to any device type the user chooses to deploy the application on. Every device shows the text at the ideal size and clarity, no matter how big or small it might be. This can be a smart phone or tablet or any device offered today or in the future. If you chose to use the device horizontally or vertically the application will reformat the content to best suit your viewing preference.
In App Purchases
On Google Play and the Apple App Store the standard version of the app is free. You will be able to view the manual pages up to five times and will be allowed to use all of the service features, but limited to one item at a time. You will also be restricted to only logging one set of maintenance items or projects. For the Amazon App Store only the full versions of the applications are available and there is no need to purchase options or features within the application. To remove these restrictions permanently on all of your devices you may optionally pay a small fee through an in application purchase (IAP). There is a fee for removing the service features restriction and another modest fee for unlimited access to the manual pages.
Making an In App Purchase
On the pop-out menu near the top you will see two items for purchase: Service and Manual. Each can be chosen separately. By choosing either option you will be prompted with the description of the item you have chosen, the price within your market and a chance to complete the transaction or cancel it. Note you must have an established payment method pre approved within your devices store in order to make a purchase. Once you have selected a feature and have confirmed your purchase, that feature will remain unlocked forever.
You will never have to repurchase items for a given application no matter how long ago you purchased them or if you installed the same application on another device under the same account. If you change your device you will also be able to restore your purchases without any additional charge. To restore your purchases just select the Restore Purchases menu item on the pop-out menu.
The key feature of the application is the manual pages. Depending on which application you have selected this could be either a workshop/repair or operation/owner’s manual. The manual chapters are generally duplicative of how chapters or themes were arranged within the original paper based manual. There are sometimes changes to this.
The appendix is where all of the supporting information is contained. This can include:
- Technical specifications
- Lubrication information
- Service intervals
- Wiring diagrams
- Chassis diagrams
- Conversion charts
- Wheels and tires/tyres
- Hints and tips
Each application has a different set of appendixes depending on the type of car and manual that was produced for it. The Appendix pages are accessed by the pop-out menu.
In some guides additional information about the car may be included. This can include:
- Production information
- Available accessories at the time of purchase
- Detailed information about certain features not included in the original manuals
Each application has a different set of additional information depending on the type of car and manual that was produced for it. The Information pages are accessed by the pop-out menu.
Search and Index
While the original manuals had an index in the back, generally accessing each subject area by its title, the new electronic format offers a much more robust means to access the content of the application. The search feature is accessed from the main panel by selecting the magnifying glass icon. This feature is part of the In App Purchase for the manual features. You will need to purchase this feature after the first five viewings.
We understand that owning and operating a vintage automobile or classic car requires a great deal of dedication and personal involvement. You are truly the curator of the preservation of a breed of automobiles never to be seen again. Your personal attention and commitment is unlike today’s modern automobiles where the enthusiast just drops it ‘off at the dealer’ to be picked up later after the car has had its maintenance attention. Our users generally are personally involved in every process of their cars maintenance and want to document their activities not only for their own interest, but to demonstrate their level of commitment and the soundness of their automobile once it is time to transfer ownership. This feature is part of the In App Purchase for the service features. You will need to purchase this feature after you experiment with the capabilities in a limited way. You will be restricted to a few maintenance items and projects as well as a singular experience in logging service prior to purchase. If you ever need help while in the Service Capabilities panels just select the popup menu in the header and choose Help. A help panel will overlay the screen from the right and guide you through the options on that panel. You can close the panel from a button at the top or just select anywhere outside the panel and it will close automatically.
To enter a new fuel log entry press the Fuel icon on the main panel or select Add from the action popup on the Fuel Log menu popup. A popup panel will be displayed for you to enter the current odometer, the fuel pumped and the date you pumped the fuel. Today’s date will be automatically filled in for you. Use the units you have chosen in the Settings panel.
The Maintenance Log will document the reoccurring services you perform on your car. The means to document those services is via the Maintenance Due panel.
- The Current Odometer value is where you enter the odometer reading that you would like to use as a default when completing a task. This value is also updated from the fuel log whenever you make an entry there.
- The Calculate Due button will use the current odometer value along with your past maintenance history to show you which items you should be considering. It will post the recommended miles (or km) in the Due column.
If an item has exceeded the recommended interval it will be shown as a negative number. Various levels of colors moving from cooler to hotter will emphasize the urgency of completing the maintenance on each item.
While the Maintenance Due and Maintenance Logs are for documenting the reoccurring service of your car, there are other tasks or possibly enhancements to your car you might want to track too, both historically and as projects. The Digital Auto Guides® applications support the creation, editing and logging of projects.
Chart of Expenses
The Chart of Expenses shows your costs for each maintenance item and project summed by category by year. The legend below shows all of the possible categories, but only categories with costs will be shown in the graph.
My Car’s History
The guide will catalog your cars history. You begin with the Settings panel where you enter your car number, model and other details. Then proceed to the My Car panel which is available from the main panel or the popup Menu panel. Press the Edit button to allow the panel to be edited. On the My Car panel you will complete the description of your car by adding the engine number and date manufactured.
Glossary of Terms
Also included with your Digital Auto Guides application is glossary of terms. Often the cars, because of their historical or country location, will use terms that may be uncommon to you. For example in the United States the term Lifter may be used where in the UK the term is Tappet. This can be confusing to someone who might be new to an automobile type or mark. For this reason a simple to use Glossary is included with the application and is accessed from the popup Menu.
NOTE: THIS FEATURE HAS BEEN SUSPENDED BY DROPBOX. WE ARE LOOKING FOR AN ALTERNATIVE
If you want to use Digital Auto Guides® on multiple devices, for example your smart phone and tablet, we will take care of keeping the devices synchronized and up to date with the latest information you have entered. For example you could enter your fuel consumption while on the road using your smart phone and later with your tablet review the logs. Another benefit is that you only have to enter your settings on one device and they will automatically be kept in sync with the other devices (each device must be connected to the internet to receive the updates at some point). Finally your data is also protected from loss. In the event that you lose your device all you would have to do is to install Digital Auto Guides® on a new device, enter your Dropbox® credentials and your data and settings would automatically be transferred to your new device. The data is always secure and is stored in your private Dropbox® account where only you have access to it. Digital Auto Guides® cannot access any other information on your Dropbox® account and you can terminate the synchronization at any time. Only the Digital Auto Guides® application can see its data and it cannot be shared with anyone who has access to your Dropbox® account or other stores.
There is also other information that may be useful to you when using the application. These are all found within the popup Menu towards the bottom. Include are:
- Find Out More – a simple set of nine panels that helps explain the features of the application
- License Agreement – Legal and privacy terms
- About the App – A panel that shows you which version you are running and where to get help etc.